Wednesday 3 July 2013

THE OTHER CHEEK

I gave my extra coat
I went the extra mile
I turned the other cheek
Fighting harsh words with a smile
I loved my friendly neighbour
And the enemy next door
I confessed when I was wrong
And buried hatchets by the score
I helped the aged and homeless
Gave to endless charities
I visited the lonely
And worked tirelessly for peace
I never missed a Sunday
To worship, pray and read
So none dare point the finger
At an honest soul like me
But God did. He said
'My grace it is sufficient
Through faith you will be saved
And not of works lest you should boast
You must be born again'
So now, though people see me
Still honest, kind and true
But I can see my motives
From a different point of view
For through His grace I know Him
And by my fruit He sees
That all my works are evidence
That Jesus lives in me

No comments: